Kids Kitchen Part Deux

A couple of years ago the wife and I were shopping for kids kitchens, my requirements was it was well made and wouldn’t fall apart.  After much shopping we found that the well built ones were going to cost around $500 from KidsCraft;  with that price tag it better cook dinner for real.  I knew that I could build one that look very close to those expensive models and I set out to do so and have it done before Christmas.  It was completed and my girls loved it.

Fast forward a couple of years, every time we have our cousins Tony and Tina over their youngest daughter Tatum always goes directly to this play kitchen and has a blast with it; so they asked if I could build one for her Birthday in April; of course I didn’t get the final okay until about two weeks before her birthday.  Normally that would be enough time, however, as it always does life got in the way and I procrastinated a bit, unfortunately I was two weeks late with it.  Luckily for me her parents kept it a secret and she was quite surprised when it was delivered and presented.   It didn’t take her long to have all her food, pots and pans on it and was cooking away.  I always love when the items I build bring a smile to their face.

I designed the kitchen after the one I built for my girls, I made the fridge unit about half the size and only did two burners on the stove/sink unit.  I used a wide variety of technologies on this build, the burners and faucet were printed on a friends 3D printer and the wings on the fridge were cut out using my wife’s Silhouette.  I used 3/4” MDF and and used basic butt joints that were glued and then a few brad nails.  I primed the kitchen with oil based primer, I always find that Oil based sticks better to MDF and then allows me to use any type of paint I want.  The paint is a Pink latex Satin paint, once this stuff dries it produces a nice surface and can hold up to the abuse of a kid playing on it.  I purchased the handles from Rockler and they really give off the 50’s style I was going for.  The original design was supposed to use Electro Luminescence Wire (EL Wire) to light up the burners when the knobs were turned. I had to nix this because I was going to have to build a new circuit board to drive them the way I wanted, the burners were printed with a channel in them that the EL wire would slip into.  If I build on of these again I will definitely incorporate the lights as it would look awesome.

All in all this was a good build, as with everything I build I learn a lot that I will be able to utilize on my next project.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

%d bloggers like this: